Saturday, 25 April 2009

Are you getting enough exercise?

Hi. I was a tapdancer, but now I do yoga and go jogging three times a week. I strongly believe that sports, as well as dancing, can help us release stress and make us feel happier in life. And scientists have already said that vigorous physical activity can affect a number of mood-altering brain chemicals, such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin. This might explain why we feel in heavens after exercising. What is incredible is that some studies suggest that people who exercise regularly are less likely to be depressed than those who are sedentary. Is it possible to squeeze some time in our hectic week to do something that will make us feel good? The truth is, there are many reasons why we end up doing nothing.
My question is: Are you getting enough exercise? Or how much importance do you really give to that? If you already do something. What is it? Is there anything different we could also try? Let's help each other be more physically active.

Karen / Ilha

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Karen. My first answer is no, I haven't been getting enough exercise. I've been studying and working really hard lately. However, if everything works alright, I should go back to working out as of May.
    My second answer is related to something really new and up to date. I just got a Nintendo Wii Fit balance board for my birthday and although I've had the bundle for only a few hours, I can say that the balance board is definitely going to help me get in better shape and also help me with my posture, which sucks - I have to admit. With the Wii balance board, we can do push-ups, sit-ups, do yoga and lots of other stuff. It's really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's nice. But, how does that work? Good luck to you!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have to say that I've been doing a lot of exercise lately. It's kind of an obssession, really. The thing is, I was tired of being overweight and you know, I'm already 30! So, last December I started at a gym, like I'd done many times before. I always started during vacation and then, in February, when classes started, I just couldn't manage to continue. Anyway, this year was different!

    I allocated 2 days in the week (Tue/Thu) plus Fri, Sat and Sunday. The gym has become part of my daily routine, like brushing my teeth or taking a shower or going to bed. I just love doing the running classes there. I get totally destressed.

    Well, to sum up, I used to weigh 85kg and now, 77kg. Actually, I'm going to the gym in a few minutes and I wanna get to 76kg by next week. My target is 74.5 and I'm sure I'll get there. I'm really happy with my persistence (and my shape!)

    I guess the secret is doing something you like: running, playing a sport, dancing and so on.

    Sorry, guys. I think I got "a little" carried away... LOL

    If you need any tips, talk to me... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. No way, getting all fat again. Gotta go back to dieting...only God knows when.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got to confess I'm not into sports or exercising. I go to the gym twice a week, three times if I can, but I guess it isn't enough.

    Hey, Fabiano!
    You're in great shape and your post is really inspiring. I'll go to the gym and work out first thing in the morning!

    Supercool Simonne, cheer up! I'm sure you can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guys,
    I know working out is sometimes hard with our hectic way of life. But if stop to think that we are not ourselves, we are sons/daughters, teachers, wives/husbands or whatever. At the gym or doing any other kind of activity we are able to be ourselves, even if it is cooking (LOL).
    Give it a try and be happy.
    Kisses to all.

    ReplyDelete